½ cup Bertolli Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 blood oranges, juiced and zest
1 ¼ cup plain flour
½ cup caster sugar
½ cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla essence
Blood Orange Icing Sugar
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
2 to 3 tbsp. Blood Orange juice
1. Preheat the oven 180c/350f and line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, add the eggs and sugar and with an electric mixer beat for 2 minutes until light and fluffy. Add the blood orange zest, juice, buttermilk, vanilla, olive oil and flour and beat of a low speed until smooth.
3. Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan and place into the oven to bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool slight in the pan before removing in onto a serving platter. Move cake to a serving platter and allow to completely cool before icing.
4. To make the icing sugar, sieve the confectioners’ sugar and blood orange juice in a small bowl and mix until smooth. Pour all over you cake.
5. Grate more fresh orange zest just before slicing.
6. Buon Appetito x