So today was my first officially day of self-employment. I woke up and immediately thought I was running late for work. Then I paused... I had nowhere to go. It's a surreal feeling when something you've known for such a long time suddenly changes and you have to adjust. So I jumped out of bed, got dressed and headed downstairs for my morning coffee.
Since resigning I've had so many thoughts in my head of what type of content I want to create, blog posts etc etc and as I was sipping on my morning coffee I realised that I could create anything I wanted. Now that got me excited!
I quickly jotted down a few ideas and plans on a piece of paper and headed out to my local market to stock op on some goodies. The Preston market is one of the best places to have a wander. If you haven't been, I suggest you make a trip down to see the amazing produce it has to offer.
As it was coming close to midday, I wanted to head back home to get started on some content and of course - lunch. I had bought some mushrooms that I needed to use up and I though a quick and easy creamy mushroom penne would do the trick.
This recipe is so easy that you can whip it up in 30 mins - perfect for a mid week meal or on those weekends when you really can't think of what to eat. Oh and trust me the more cheese... the better!
Creamy Mushroom Penne
500g Barilla penne pasta
300ml cooking or heavy cream
2 cups of swiss brown mushrooms, sliced
1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 cup pecorino cheese, grated
2 cloves garlic, grated
1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp oil
salt & pepper
1. Cook pasta according to packet instructions in a large saucepan of salted water. Drain and set aside.
2. In a medium pan, on a low heat, add olive oil, butter and garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
3. Add the mushrooms and cook until brown. This should take 5 minutes. Careful not to burn them. (Don’t over crowd the mushrooms when cooking. Cook them in batches as cooking them all at once will make the sauce watery)
4. Reduce to low heat and add the cream. Stir through so all the mushrooms are coated. Add the pasta and stir through.
5. Turn the heat off and add the cheeses and parsley. Stir until all the pasta is coated in the creamy sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Serve on plates along with extra cheese and parsley.
7. Enjoy x