When I was a child pasta with pesto was one of my least favourite meals. I don't know if it was the basil taste or the colour green but I didn't want to go near it. Lucky I've changed since then and I can honestly say it's now one of my favourites. Not to mention one of the easiest.
There are many different versions of pesto you can make. 9/10 times I have the ingredients in my pantry so it's very simple to make. This one is a little extra special as I've added some broccoli florets to the mix. Yes... the kids won't know! Shhhh.... Will keep this our little secret!
Fusilli with Broccoli Pesto - Serves 4
500gm Barilla fusilli pasta
2 cups frozen broccoli florets
2 clove garlic
1 cup fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds
1/2 grated Parmesan cheese
1 tbsp lemon juice
1. Cook fusilli according to packet instructions. While pasta is cooking you can start on the pesto.
2. Meanwhile, bring a smaller pan of salted water to the boil, add the broccoli and boil for 5 mins. Drain and place in a food processor.
3. Add garlic, almonds, basil, cheese, olive oil, salt and lemon juice.
4. Blitz together until it forms into a smooth consistency. You can always add more salt or cheese depending on your taste.
5. Drain pasta and reserve about 1/2 of liquid. Add pasta back into the saucepan. Add pesto and water and mix well.
6. Serve topped with bocconcini (optional), fresh basil leaves and extra parmesan.
7. Enjoy x